The Duluth Police Department Offers Halloween Safety Tips
Halloween is one of the funnest nights of the year but it can also become one of the most dangerous fast.
Ahead of the big day, the Duluth Police Department is taking time to remind parents of some basic rules and safety tips for when they head door-to-door picking out treats. They posted some on their Facebook page Monday morning.
They broke down the rules into groups: walking from house to house, trick-or-treating, costumes and driving on Halloween night.
When it comes to walking from house to house, the DPD says it is important to:
• Cross the street at corners only and use traffic signals and crosswalks
• Look both ways before and during your trek across a road
• Do not be distracted by your phone and pay attention to your surroundings
• Walk on sidewalks whenever possible
Trick-or-treating is another situation that should be taken seriously. DPD advises:
• Don't let children under 12 trick-or-treat without supervision
• Kids going out alone should be in groups in well-lit and familiar areas only
• Guardians should look through and inspect candy before a child eats it (Last year, needles were found in Wisconsin Halloween candy.)
Costumes are fun but can cause issues come Halloween. Here's a few ways to take extra precautions:
• Add reflective tape and stickers to costumes and bags and have kids carry glow sticks or flashlights
• Choose face paint and makeup over masks so a child can see clearly
• Ensure a costume fits to avoid a child tripping and falling
Perhaps the most important tips of the night are for drivers, who should use extra caution come Wednesday. Here are a few ways to do so:
• Slow down and take extra time to get to where you are going
• Eliminate any distractions inside your car, including your GPS and radio
• Turn your headlights on
According to the Duluth Police Department, the most popular trick-or-treating hours are from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30. Be extra alert doing those times.
You can read more of their Halloween night tips on their Facebook page here.