Coronavirus Related Cancellations And Postponements Impacting The Northland
Here is a running list of cancellations, postponements, closures and other notes of interest related to the COVID-19 coronavirus impacting the Twin Ports area and Minnesota/Wisconsin. We will update this list as necessary.
If you have an addition to this list, please contact us through our feedback page with details and your contact information so we can get ahold of you with any questions. Be sure to check out our Coronavirus content hub on our website (here) for all of the latest news and information to know.
Statewide Closure Orders
- Minnesota Bars & Restaurants��will be closed to dine-in customers effective at 5 pm March 17. Other entertainment venues like theaters and museums, as well as fitness facilities will be ordered closed at the same time.
- Minnesota Hair & Nail Salons ordered to close starting at 5 pm March 18, through at least March 27
- Wisconsin Bars & Restaurants and some other common gathering places closed as of 5 pm March 17
- Carlton County is asking the public to limit visits to government offices to essential services/transactions only
- Cloquet Public Buildings will be closed to the public beginning March 18
- Duluth City Buildings will be closed to the public starting March 17
- Hermantown Government Services Building closed until further notice
- Superior/Douglas County government offices - Some will be closed after the close of business on March 17 until further notice. City Clerk's office will remain open.
- Two Harbors City Hall and other city buildings closed to the public through at least March 27
Businesses & Organizations
- Black Bear Casino will close temporarily, starting at 5 pm on March 18
- Boys & Girls Clubs of the Northland sites cancel programming, close sites for a time.
- CHUM will be closed on Wednesday, March 18 to adjust for shifting to different food delivery options. Will resume normal scheduled service days following this
- Cloquet Community Centers closed as of 5 pm March 17
- Cloquet Public Library closed as of Wednesday, March 18 until further notice
- Duluth Community Centers, park buildings, and senior centers closed until further notice
- Duluth Fire Department is suspending child seat workshops until further notice
- Duluth National Weather Service has cancelled their spring Skywarn training classes
- Duluth Public Library branches closed and all events cancelled until further notice
- Duluth YMCA will suspend normal fitness services starting March 18, and shift offering child care for first responders, health care workers, and essential employees.
- Duluth Transit Authority adjusting routes. More details here.
- Eversmiles Pediatric Dentistry closed for normal business until at least April 1
- Fond-du-Luth Casino will close temporarily, starting at 5 pm on March 18
- Fond du Lac Transit closed until further notice
- Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa community centers closed
- Glensheen Mansion closed until at least April 1. Refunds will be issued for pre-purchased tickets.
- Gordy's Hi-Hat suspends seasonal opening
- Grand Casino Mille Lacs, Hinckley close starting at 4 pm March 16 for at least 14 days. Two concert events have been postponed to later dates.
- Great Lakes Aquarium closed until at least April 15
- Junior League of Duluth has cancelled all meetings until further notice
- Kohls closes all of their retail locations until at least April 1
- Lake Superior College Career & Transfer Fair scheduled for March 25 cancelled
- Lake Superior Maritime Visitor Center closed until further notice
- Lew Martin Senior Center closed until further notice
- Lutsen Resort closing March 22 through at least the end of April
- Mall of America & Nickelodeon Universe to close at 5 pm March 17 until at least March 31
- Marcus Theatres closing indefinitely
- Miller Hill Mall closing at 7 pm March 18 until at least March 29
- Minnesota Children's Museum: Closed through Mar. 27
- Minnesota Road/Driving Tests suspended until at least March 28
- Minnesota Zoo: Is closed until further notice
- MnDOT postpones all public meetings and project open houses for at least 30 days
- Science Museum of Minnesota: Closed temporarily
- Split Rock Lighthouse closed through March 31
- Super One Foods locations are changing store hours to close at 9 pm to allow for additional cleaning and stocking
- Superior Library to close indefinitely after close of business March 17
- Two Harbors Public Library closed through at least March 27
- Walmart is reducing store hours beginning Sunday, March 15, going from 24-hour service to being open 6 am to 11 pm
- WLSSD closing household hazardous waste facility and materials recovery center
- Various nursing homes and care facilities are restricting visitors. Check with the facility before a visit.
- AAD Shrine Circus scheduled for April 18 & 19 at the DECC postponed to a future date
- Arrowhead Home and Builders Show April 1-5 at the DECC is canceled.
- Cloquet Home, Business & Sport Show cancelled by Cloquet Chamber of Commerce
- Douglas County Fish & Game League's 115th Annual Sports Show, scheduled
for Mar 27-29 is cancelled
- Dan & Shay postpone Target Center concert
- Downtown Duluth Arts Walk scheduled for March 27 cancelled, will be held as a virtual event instead
- Duluth Parks & Recreation indoor programs, classes, and lessons cancelled until further notice
- Duluth Superior Symphony Orchestra cancels March 21 and 22 performances
- Duluth Summer Jobs Job Fair on March 23 has been cancelled, will be rescheduled in the future
- Homegrown Music Festival has cancelled all events
- Jason Aldean postpones Xcel Energy Center show
- Kenny Chesney postpones US Bank Stadium show
- The Lumineers postpone Xcel Energy Center show
- MercyMe & Jeremy Camp concert scheduled for April 4 at the DECC has been postponed
- Motorhead Madness at the DECC March 21 and 22 canceled Beethoven Fifth and March 22nd Beethoven Adventure Casual concerts
- MN State High School League cancels remainder of girls basketball tournament, boys basketball section playoffs/state tournament, and postpones speech tournament
- Minnesota Timberwolves and the rest of the NBA suspended season until further notice
- Minnesota Twins and the rest of MLB cancels remaining Spring Training games and postpones opening day "at least two weeks"
- Minnesota Wild and the rest of the NHL pauses regular season
- Minnesota Wilderness and the rest of the NAHL suspend season until further notice
- Nearly Naked Ruck March scheduled for March 28 converted to an online event
- Rage Against The Machine postpones all tour dates through May 23, including Minnesota show at Target Center on May 12
- Reba McEntire postpones Xcel Energy Center show to this summer
- UMD Bulldogs Hockey games cancelled as NCHC cancels conference tournament, NCAA cancels winter/spring sports tournaments including Frozen Four & March Madness
Schools & Colleges
- Minnesota's public K-12 schools will be temporarily closed from March 18 to March 27 following an executive order from Governor Walz
- Wisconsin's public K-12 schools will temporarily be closed from March 18 through at least April 6
- WITC extended spring break to March 27, moves classes online following break
- Lake Superior College, Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College and the rest of the Minnesota State Colleges & Universities extend spring break, classes suspended March 12-16
- University of Minnesota Duluth extends spring break, moves classes online
- University of Wisconsin-Superior extends spring break, moves classes online
- College of St. Scholastica extends spring break, moves classes online
- Catholic Diocese of Duluth suspends all public celebrations of mass effective Friday, March 20, through at least April 20 and cancels all events involving 10 or more people
- Catholic Diocese of Superior suspends public celebration of mass until further notice
- Rock Hill Community Church making church services available via online stream, encouraging groups to meet virtually online
- Multiple other churches we have not heard from are closing or altering services to an online/remote method. Please check with your place of worship.
- St. Louis County Jail suspends visitor access to inmates