Here’s What You Need To Know About Packers 1st Draft Pick Eric Stokes
The Green Bay Packers used their first round draft pick on Thursday night to add some depth to their secondary defense. They selected corner back Eric Stokes from Georgia with their first selection. Stokes has some impressive statistics from his time with the University of Georgia, and we'll break those down in a bit. The Green Bay Packers General Manager said they were surprised that he was still available when their turn came around on the draft, and they jumped at the chance.
Packers GM Brian Gutekunst spoke to the media and had some great things to say about Stokes according to Packerswire.
His explosiveness is off the charts. He’s a strong, strong athlete. They do a great job down there at Georgia, training those guys. I think as he continued to play in the SEC, you saw his confidence grow and grow and grow.”
He also mentioned that they plan on him being used right away in some capacity on the defense, saying he's a "pretty quick study," and he should somehow get into the mix this season.
Here's some highlights from Eric Stoke's College Career from Georgiadogs.com:
- Made CBS Sports All America First Team -2020
- Starting CB in all 10 games in 2020 for Georgia
- 2020 stats include 20 stops, four interceptions, four pass breakups, and three QB pressures
- First Team by SEC Associated Press - 2020
- Associated Press SEC 2nd Team - 2019
- Recipient of the Tommy Reeder Football Scholarship and the David William Moorman Football Scholarship after playing high school football at Eastside High School.