UPDATE: Cloquet Middle School, High School Deemed Safe After Gas Leak
Classes have resumed at Cloquet Middle School and Cloquet High School after a gas leak was discovered this morning that led to an evacuation and delay of classes today. School officials shared an update Thursday afternoon, explaining that utility crews identified a cracked seal at a gas meter was releasing a gas odor near a building air intake. Around 7:30 on Thursday morning, the buildings were evacuated and classes were delayed.
Utility crews confirmed that there was no threat to student safety, and the seal was repaired before the buildings were reopened and classes resumed two hours later than the normal school day start time.
--- ORIGINAL STORY ---
Officials with Cloquet School District shared a message via their website Thursday morning that classes would start two hours late on March 7 due to a gas leak. The message reads:
Due to a gas leak at Cloquet High School, there will be a 2 hour late start for students at the High School and Middle School. Students who are already on bus in routes will be moved to the emergency shelters until the fix has been made. High School Students will report to St. Paul's Church. Middle School students will report to Journey's Church. Staff will be present to monitor students. Crews have been notified and on are site working to resolve the issue. We will continue to monitor the situation and updates will be sent as soon as we know more.