Students Can Apply For Mike Colalillo Medal of Honor Scholarship
Schools will be back in session and most of the schools are choosing remote learning options.
With COVID-19 taking away a lot of the money available to students, it's refreshing to see the Mike Colalillo Medal of Honor Scholarship is still available. The 2020 application will first be available on September 7th and then it must be turned in by November 12th.
The scholarship is for High School Seniors and College Students with a physical connection to St. Louis County in Minnesota. The Scholarship is worth $1500 dollars.
According to The History People website, The Mike Colalillo Scholarship is in honor of the last known survivor of World War II who was a Medal of Honor recipient in the State of Minnesota. He was born and raised in St. Louis Count and he dropped out of school when his mother died so he could help support the family. Following the war, Mr. Colalillo raised three children in Duluth, Minnesota. To learn about his military service and the man himself visit here.
In order to be considered for the scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
- A full-time student who is enrolled in a higher education institution in St. Louis County, OR
- A resident of St. Louis County who is a full-time student enrolled in a higher education institution in another county or state, OR
- A high school senior who lives in St. Louis County and plans to attend a higher education institution
Scholarship applicants are required to submit a research paper on a topic relevant to veterans of St. Louis County, Minnesota. The paper must:
- Be a minimum of four (4) and a maximum of ten (10) double-spaced pages in length
- Address a historical event in St. Louis County, Minnesota, related to a conflict, war or the home front; OR tell the story of a county veteran
- Include at least one source from the Albert J. Amatuzio Research Center, located in the St. Louis County Depot Building, 501 West Michigan Street, Duluth
- Include a bibliography
If you should need help for your paper, the history people are providing the following people that you can contact:
Charlene Langowski, Curator Jay Hagen, VMH Program Assistant Charlene 218.576.3114 or Jay 218.733.7500 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Completed applications and research papers should be submitted to email@example.com or mailed to: Veterans Memorial Hall 506 West Michigan Street Duluth, MN 55802