Duluth Police Offer Tips to Prevent Residential Burglaries
On their Facebook page, the Duluth Police Department stated that a burglary happens every 15 seconds in the United States. This threat to residential homes can have a lasting impact not only on the occupants of the homes burglarized, but on an entire neighborhood.
As scary as that seems, there are things you can do to avoid becoming a victim. Here are some tips to help, courtesy of Duluth Police:
- Make sure your windows and doors are locked.
- Secure your sliding glass patio door. You can also add a track-blocker such as “charley bars” or other blocking devices.
- Keep your eyes open and be a good neighbor. Report suspicious activity immediately.
- Leave lights on at night (both interior and exterior)
- If you’re leaving town let your neighbors you can trust know.
- Look into home security systems.
I would also avoid leaving purses and wallets on counters or tables that can be viewed by looking into any window. Doing this will take away the easy targets from burglars.