Remember To Support Northland Businesses Throughout the Holidays
It's officially the Christmas season and as shopping picks up across the Northland, it's important to remember the local businesses doing their best to continue to serve the community.
It may a year unlike any other due to the pandemic, but there are still ways to support our local businesses financially and in other ways. The Better Business Bureau offers the following tips on how to do it:
- Buy a gift card for later: Many small businesses that have had to close or reduce services are offering gift certificates at discounted rates for when they open back up. Look on business’s websites and social accounts.
- Shop (local) online: Local shops and vendors may have closed their (physical) doors, but many still run online shops. Look for them on social media or check the business's website for links to their online marketplace.
- Look for virtual classes: People who work in training or professional development – anyone from your personal trainer to the person teaching your office’s public speaking workshop - are finding creative ways to move their instruction online. Even though your local gym is closed, your favorite yoga teacher may be hosting a live class online. Same goes for people who offer professional trainings. Now may be a good time to brush up on your skills through an online course.
- Get take-out or delivery: Many restaurants and breweries are now offering takeout with reduced or absent dine-in experiences. Support these local institutions by getting your food or drinks to-go and enjoying it at home. Local food trucks are another way to show support.
- Skip the refund and take a rain check: If you paid in advance for an event, such as theater or concert tickets, a class, or a service, consider taking a credit for the future instead of asking for a refund. These businesses will appreciate not needing to issue so many refunds right now.
Enter your number to get our free mobile app
You can also support local businesses by writing great reviews online. "Liking" and sharing the social media page of a local business also helps spread the word and gives local businesses the opportunity to reach more customers.
Please click on the button below to see a list of Northland restaurants and bars who are open the ready to serve you.