John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon Begins January 27
It's time for the 35th Annual John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon, which begins this weekend, and spectators will have plenty of places to view the race and enjoy related activities.
The race is scheduled to start Sunday, January 27 at noon from Billy’s Bar, located at 3502 W. Tischer Road in Duluth, but you can arrive as early as 7:00 a.m. to enjoy Bloody Mary’s, breakfast and coffee. You'll have have the opportunity to meet the mushers before the race begins. For your convenience, shuttle Buses will be running from UMD to Billy’s Bar.
The race is expected to end about 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday, January 29 at Grand Portage Lodge and Casino, located at 70 Casino Drive in Grand Portage, Minnesota.
It's always fun to watch the John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon while the mushers are on the trails and organizers recommend the following viewing locations in Cook County:
- Sawbill Trail (Marathon checkpoint) approximately five miles up the Sawbill Trail in Tofte, Minnesota
- Lutsen (Beargrease 120 Finish) 466 Ski Hill Road, Lutsen, Minnesota
- Grand Portage Lodge and Casino (Marathon Finish)
- Trail Center Lodge, 7611 Gunflint Trail, Grand Marais, Minnesota
- Skyport Lodge, 205 Fireweed Lane, Grand Marais, Minnesota
Click here for driving directions to all race checkpoints.
It's a great several days, with a lot going on from start to finish. Follow the link below for full details, including complete schedule of events, maps and more.