I-35 Northbound Ramp Closures Happen June 3 + 4 Near Mesaba Avenue
A pair of related temporary ramp closures will affect traffic along I-35 during a two-day stretch. Officials with the Minnesota Department of Transportation are alerting the general public about the ramp closures scheduled at Exit 256A - near Mesaba Avenue, off the northbound lanes of I-35. The closures are related to the work being done in the area to install the new Traffic Management System that MNDOT is putting into service in the Twin Ports.
Here are the specific traffic impacts for the two ramp closures:
- June 3: Exit 256A - the Mesaba Avenue ramp - will close at 8:00 PM. Traffic will be detoured by way of the Superior Street ramp to 6th Avenue West to First Street and then back to Mesaba Avenue. The closure is expected to last between three and four hours.
- June 4: Exit 356A - the Superior Street ramp - will close after 9:00 AM. Traffic for this closure will be detoured via the Michigan Street ramp to 5th Avenue West and then back to Superior Street. The closure is expected to last between three and four hours.
According to details released by the Minnesota Department of Transportation, the work crews on site will be installing a CCTV camera pole foundation as part of the Traffic Management System upgrade.
MNDOT reminds drivers to be alert while driving through this work zone or any of the road construction happening this summer. They offer the following tips for navigating construction work zones:
- Slow down
- Use care and caution while driving through the work zone
- Stay alert
- Be aware of changing conditions
- Watch for workers and slow moving equipment
- Obey posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300
- Minimize distractions
- Be patient
- Expect delays - especially during peak travel times
For more details about this specific work project or any of the road construction coordinated by the Minnesota Department of Transportation, click here to visit their online project pages.