William A. Irwin 5K And Grandma’s Marathon Traffic Advisory, Road Closures And Race Details
If you have visitors coming into town, forward this important travel information to them, so they can travel safely and more efficiently. This is a detailed list of road closures, traffic advisory and parking information that should help alleviate stress this weekend. Let's start with tomorrow's William A. Irvin and morph into Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon and Grandma's Full Marathon.
The William A. Irwin 5K is slated to begin at 6:00 p.m. Traffic on Harbor Drive behind the DECC will be closed at 3:00 p.m. and at 5:30 p.m. traffic will be diverted off portions of Railroad Street for the duration of the race.
Motorists should obey temporary “No Parking” areas on Railroad Street and Harbor Drive. Violators will be tagged and towed.
Starting at 5:30 p.m. traffic delays will occur for approximately one hour as Railroad Street is closed from Garfield Avenue to the DECC Entrance. No Southbound traffic on 5th Avenue West will be allowed past the I-35 ramps, and the 5th Ave W Connector to Railroad St will be closed. Harbor Drive behind the DECC will also be closed to traffic.
ACCESS TO THE DECC will be through the North Gate (on Railroad Street), from Lake Avenue and the only exits will be through the Ramp onto Railroad St and onto northbound 5th Ave W.
Traffic should return to normal by 7:30 p.m. Please watch for no parking signs, barricades, and Officers directing traffic when driving in the area of this event.
HALF MARATHON & FULL MARATHON TRAFFIC INFORMATION
On FRIDAY JUNE 19 :
At 12 noon on Friday, June 19, Canal Park Drive from Railroad Street to Buchanan Street will be closed for Grandma's finish line set up. This roadway will remain closed to automobile traffic until after the Grandma's Marathon Finish on Saturday June 20th .
On SATURDAY JUNE 20 :
- Scenic Highway 61, along the lake, will be closed to traffic at 4:30 am between Duluth and Two Harbors
- Lakewood, Homestead, Ryan, and McQuade Roads will be closed from the Highway 61 Expressway to Scenic Highway 61 at 4:30 a.m.
- Avenues leading down to London Road will be closed at 5:00 a.m.
- London Road will be closed to traffic 5:45am
- Superior Street from 12th Avenue East to 5th Avenue West will be closed at 5:45 a.m.
- Harbor Drive, Commerce Street/Railroad Street, Lake Place Drive and Canal Park closed at 5:45 a.m.
- Northbound traffic on I-35 will be diverted up Mesaba Avenue to 2nd Street at 5:45am
EAST DETOUR: East bound traffic will use 2nd Street to 21st Avenue East, then south to Superior Street, and continuing East. This detour will take effect 5:45 a.m.
WEST DETOUR: West bound traffic on Superior Street will turn North onto 21st Avenue East, then continue West on 3rd Street. This detour will take effect at 5:45 a.m.
- The northbound lane of I-35 will be closed at 5:45 a.m. from Mesaba Avenue to 26th Avenue East. A detour will guide vehicles up to 2nd Street to continue East.
- The southbound lane of I-35 from 21st and 26th Avenues East will be closed at 4:15 a.m.
- The freeway, and other roadways closed for the Marathon will reopen at approximately 2:00 p.m. on Saturday afternoon.
PARKING IS NOT ALLOWED ON THE RACE COURSE. Please observe the posted "No Parking" Signs. Violators will be towed.
CANAL PARK AREA PARKING is encouraged at the BAYFRONT PARK LOTS or the DECC, which are accessible from Railroad Street, or the AQUARIUM LOT which is accessible by 5th Ave W. Railroad Street may be accessed by either by 5th Avenue West or Garfield Avenue.
TRAFFIC TO AND FROM PARK POINT will encounter long delays Friday evening and Saturday. On Saturday, during the Marathon, the only way motorists will be able to reach Park Point and the Canal Park area will be from 5th Avenue West to Railroad Street or Garfield Avenue to Railroad Street. Follow directional arrows along the detour route to reach the Park Point and the Canal Park area without crossing the Race Course.
Motorists should slow down and be alert to special signing and lane closures on Highway 61 Expressway just south of Two Harbors.
SNAPSHOT OF THE WEEKEND:
- 22nd ANNUAL WILLIAM IRVIN 5K, Friday June 19, 2015, 6:00 p.m. Start
- 25th ANNUAL GARRY BJORKLUND HALF MARATHON, Saturday, June 20, 2015, 6:15 a.m. Start
- GRANDMA'S WHEELCHAIR MARATHON, Saturday, June 20, 2015, 7:40 a.m. Start
- 39th ANNUAL GRANDMA'S MARATHON, Saturday, June 20, 2015, 7:45 a.m. Start