Superior Schools Offer Free Summer Lunch Program
Proper nutrition is essential for growth - mentally, physically, and emotionally. That's why school lunch and breakfast programs were designed decades ago to help school-age children get the meals they need to succeed.
And while kids have access to those nutritious meals during the school year, summer break brings its own set of challenges. That's why the Superior School District is doing something about it.
This week, the district began their Summer Meals program - run in a similar fashion to how it was last year. Most weekdays (July 4 excluded), the district is providing lunches and snacks to kids who are at pre-designated areas, within the timeline established. These hot meals are free to all kids age 18 and under in Superior.
The meal sites are split up into two different categories: Community Stops and Park and Rec Sites, with different times; each of the two categories also has a different end date for the program.
Here are the details, listed by category - including dates, then location site, and times:
Community Stops (happening June 13-August 26, Monday through Friday):
- Lakeside Terrace: 11:15 AM to 11:30 AM
- Bartley Manor: 12:00 PM to 12:15 PM
- Heritage Park: 12:25 PM to 12:40 PM
- Aspen Courts: 1:10 PM to 1:30 PM
- Boys and Girls Club: Lunch from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM and then a snack from 3:30 PM to 4:00 PM
Park and Rec Sites (happening June 13-August 19, Monday through Friday):
Lunch will be served from 11:45 AM to 12:30 PM
Snack will be served from 4:00 PM to 4:30 PM
- 18th Street & Oakes Avenue
- Billings Park
- Central Park
- Hammond Park
- Wade Bowl
- Webster Park
Once again, there will not be a lunch or snack at any location on July 4 due to the holiday.
Because this is a federally funded program, there are some guidelines that must be followed:
- All meals must be consumed on site and not carried away
- Kids are allowed to take one item off site each day
- Meals are free to all kids in Superior, age 18 and under
Additional information can be found on the Superior School District's website.