Common Over-The-Counter Medicine Almost Killed This Minnesota Dog + His Family Warns Other Pet Owners
A little dog racked up quite a big vet bill after getting into some everyday over-the-counter pills. The pet owners are sharing their story and urging other pet owners to get pet insurance right now.
Meet Harvey, who got himself into a little bit of trouble recently.
Harvey is turning 2 years old at the end of April, and it's actually a miracle. He's a Frenchton, which is a half Boston Terrier and French Bulldog.
He did what puppies do best: got into something he wasn't supposed to. Harvey jumped his pet gate, found his way into his owner's backpack, and pulled out a common over-the-counter medication bottle.
It was an ibuprofen bottle with a child-proof lid. Harvey chewed his way through the plastic and got it open, and then ate several of the pills.
Ibuprofen, also known as the brand-name Advil, is sugar-coated. That makes it appealing to some pets to eat. When his owners returned home and discovered what had happened, they called pet poison control. They informed them that it was toxic to dogs and to keep an eye on him. They weren't sure how many pills he ate, but they guess it was probably a few.
It didn't take long for Harvey to start having symptoms. He began shaking, almost like he was having a seizure. They rushed him to the vet where they began emergency treatment. The owners had to pay money upfront. First, it was a few hundred bucks, then it was a couple thousand, and next thing you know Harvey's care cost over $10,000.
Harvey suffered damage to his kidneys and liver from the ibuprofen. It was touch and go for a few days, but his numbers began to return to normal after a few days of treatment.
Harvey's human parents are now urging all pet owners to get pet insurance. After this ordeal, they immediately found a plan that cost only $25 a month and will cover care for Harvey in the future. Be sure to shop around for the best insurance for you. Some insurances have limits, but there are some that do not.
Having pet insurance can help you avoid the terrible decision to euthanize your pet because you can't afford the medical costs. Sadly, many pets are put down or forfeited because the owner can't pay for their medical costs. A few bucks a month for peace of mind is worth it in my book.
Fortunately, this story has a happy ending. Harvey's going to be celebrating his birthday, and hopefully will get over that chewing everything as a puppy stage soon!