UPDATED: Here’s How Much The First Snowstorm Of 2023 Left In The Northland
We only got a couple of days into 2023 before getting our first snowstorm of the year. While the snowfall totals aren't as high as that of our big December storm just a couple of weeks ago, this week's storm made travel difficult across the Northland and added to the already large piles of snow in parking lots and along driveways and roads across the region.
With snow wrapping up overnight, we're getting a better idea of how much new accumulation we got across the region as reports continue to come in to the National Weather Service.
There was a wide range of snowfall totals across the region. Even in Duluth, for example, only 2-3 inches fell near the shoreline, while West Duluth got 9 inches, and the Duluth NWS Office (where Duluth's official weather records are measured) got just over 5 inches.
Speaking of reports, if you want to help the National Weather Service by reporting snowfall totals, they explain how to do so here.
MORE: December 2022 Bilzzard Goes Down As Top-10 Historical Two-Day Snow Event In Duluth
January 3-5, 2023 Snowfall Totals In Northern Minnesota & Wisconsin
- Mahtowa, MN - 14.9 inches
- Pleasant Valley, MN - 14.5 inches
- Barnum, MN - 14 inches
- Moose Lake, MN - 12 inches
- Hawthorne, WI - 11 inches
- Herbster, WI - 10.3 inches
- Minong, WI - 10 inches
- Wascott, WI - 9 inches
- West Duluth, MN - 9 inches
- Mason, WI - 9 inches
- Esko, MN - 8.5 inches
- Duluth, MN (Woodland) - 8.5 inches
- Amnicon Falls State Park, WI - 8.5 inches
- Duluth, MN (Near Coppertop Church) - 8 inches
- Nemadji, MN - 8 inches
- Wrenshall, MN - 7.6 inches
- Butternut, WI - 7 inches
- Cloquet, MN - 7 inches
- South Range, WI - 7 inches
- Gary New Duluth, MN - 7 inches
- Kerrick, MN - 6.5 inches
- Solon Springs, WI - 6.1 inches
- Two Harbors, MN - 6 inches
- Superior, WI - 5.5 inches
- Hayward, WI - 5.5 inches
- Maple, WI - 5.3 inches
- Duluth NWS Office - 5.2 inches
- Wright - 5 inches
- Twig - 4.6 inches
With the snow moving off, we'll see some clearing and cooler temperatures to end the week and head into the weekend. Temperatures will remain in the low 20s through the weekend, with some cloud-sun mix for the next few days.