Is Your Car On The List For Top Stolen Vehicles In Minnesota?
Many people in Minnesota drive cars and auto thefts do happen. What's surprising is the make, model and year when it comes the most stolen vehicle in the land of 10,000 Lakes.
According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, the 2006 Ford full size pick-up was the most stolen vehicle last year with 44, 014 thefts. Here are the top 5 most stolen nationally:
- 2006 Ford Full Size Pick-up (44,014 thefts)
- 2004 Chevrolet Full Size Pick-up (40,968 thefts)
- 2000 Honda Civic (43,144 thefts)
- 1997 Honda Accord (30,814 thefts)
- 2019 Toyota Camry (16, 915 thefts)
Now let's take a look at what gets stolen in Minnesota:
- 2000 Honda Civic (660 thefts)
- 2000 Honda CR-V (587 thefts)
- 2003/1999 Chevrolet Full Size Pick-Up (524 thefts)
- 1997 Honda Accord (489 thefts)
- 2009/2007 Toyota Camry (469 thefts)
- 2003 Ford Full Size Pick-Up (465 thefts)
- 2008 Chevrolet Impala (309 thefts)
- 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee (280 thefts)
- 2010 Toyota Corolla (253 thefts)
- 2010 Chevrolet Malibu (242 thefts)
Definitely not what I was expecting for Minnesota. Easiest way to prevent it, is keep your doors locked and always have your keys on you. I'm sure a lot of thefts happen during our winter months (which is almost 6 months long) when people are warming up their cars. Quick tip about starting you car in the winter, in Duluth it's against city ordinance.
I have never owned any of the listed vehicles, but I guess I never really thought about vehicle thieves going for specific cars. The NCIB does recommend the following tips to protect yourself from vehicle thefts:
- Use common sense - remove your keys, lock your door and park in a well lit area.
- Have a warning device - such as audible alarms, steering column collars, steering column wheel/brake pedal lock, identification markers in or on vehicle, VIN etching, and more.
- Immobilizing device - examples include smart keys, fuse cutoffs, kill switches, starter ignition and fuel pump disablers, and wireless ignition authentication.
- Tracking device - sweet and simple, just put a tracking device on it.