I-35/Can Of Worms Lane Closure Updates
Thanks to it's location, the lane closures along I-35 by the Can of Worms-Twin Ports Interchange have affected just about everyone's commutes in the Twin Ports - in one way or another. Generally speaking, those lane closures will be in place throughout the rest of the winter season - in one form or another - as work crews with the Minnesota Department of Transportation get the ramps, bridges, and associated roadways ready for the upcoming rebuild that starts next spring. A median crossover is being constructed in the area near 27th Avenue West and the Garfield Avenue Overpass.
Currently, drivers along I-35 encounter the following restrictions near 27th Avenue West and the Garfield Avenue overpass:
- Northbound I-35 left lane closure - from just south of 27th Avenue West bridge to just north of the Garfield Avenue overpass. This closure is set to be removed by Monday, November 2 - weather permitting.
- Southbound I-35 left lane closure - starting just north of the Garfield Avenue overpass and ending at the Garfield Avenue overpass. This closure is set to be removed by Sunday, November 1 - weather permitting.
There are some important restrictions coming up that drivers will want to know about. The Minnesota Department of Transportation is working ahead to alert drivers to the following changes/restrictions:
Monday, November 2:
- The southbound I-35 exit ramp to 27th Avenue West and the 27th Avenue West ramp onto northbound I-35 will be closed for one week.
- Temporary pavement widening will occur throughout the week on northbound I-35 between the 27th Avenue West on-ramp and I-535 on the right hand side.
Monday, November 9:
- The northbound I-35 exit ramp to 27th Avenue West and the 27th Avenue West ramp onto southbound I-35 will close for one week.
Friday, November 13 (PM) through Sunday, November 15:
- Northbound and southbound I-35 will close at 27th Avenue West for the demolition of the 27th Avenue West Bridge. During this closure, all traffic will be routed up and down the ramps at 27th Avenue West.
Drivers are urged to slow down, be extra cautious, and stay alert to changing road and lane conditions. For additional information, click here. MNDOT also keeps an online project page for work across the entire state; click here.