Highway 73 Railroad Bridge Work + Detour Starts July 13
Minnesota Department of Transportation officials will start work on the Burlington Northern Santa Fe railroad bridge just south of Hibbing on Highway 73; the work is anticipated to begin on Monday, July 13. The bridge is located about two-and-a-half miles south of Highway 169. Work crews will be rehabilitating the bridge for future use.
During the project, all traffic will be detoured on North Leighton Road and Townline Road/County Highway 60. Motorists are urged to use caution in the work zone and in the detour.
For more information about rest stops, projects, and more - click here to get information from their website.
For the time being - as the COVID-19 Pandemic response is in place, MNDOT is working hard to adhere to Governor Tim Walz's Stay at Home executive order. Road work has been identified as a Critical Service by the state and will continue on.
Here are some important reminders from MNDOT about safety in regards to this specific project as well as any of the projects you might encounter this summer:
- Slow down when approaching a work zone
- Use caution when navigating through the marked-off work area
- Stay alert - work zones constantly change
- Watch for workers and slow moving equipment
- Obey the posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel
- Be patient
- Expect delays - especially during peak travel times
For more information about this specific project or any of the scheduled road work across the state, click here to visit the Minnesota Department of Transportation's online project page.