Duluth Police Department Issues Air Show Traffic Advisory
The Duluth Air Show is this weekend, with gates opening at 9:00 a.m. and closing at 6:00 p.m. both Saturday, July 9 and Sunday July 10. With a dramatic increase in traffic expected near the Duluth airbase, the Duluth Police Department has issued an advisory.
In regards to parking:
- GENERAL EVENT PARKING lot entrances are located on Airbase Road, and are accessible via Stebner, Swan Lake, or Arrowhead Roads to Airbase Road.
- V.I.P EVENT PARKING lots are accessible via Miller Trunk Hwy 53 to Cirrus Drive.
- Access to Federal Express, the BX, Cirrus, and VIP Lots will be Miller Trunk Hwy 53 to Cirrus Drive. Exiting these locations will be out Cirrus Drive also.
- Airbase Road from Arrowhead Road will also lead directly into the GENERAL EVENT PARKING lot, with no through traffic allowed DURING THE ENTIRE EVENT TIME. Vehicles mistakenly taking Airbase Road not wanting to go into this lot will be instructed to turn around and go back to Arrowhead Road. DURING THE ENTIRE EVENT TIME. Vehicles mistakenly taking Airbase Road not wanting to go into this lot will be instructed to turn around and go back to Arrowhead Road.
In regards to general traffic near the air show:
- During the busy morning hours, when traffic gets heavy, Stebner Road from Miller Trunk Hwy 53 will change to a 2 lane one-way in flow, leading directly into the GENERAL EVENT PARKING lot. All Vehicles entering on Stebner Road during this time will flow directly into this lot and through traffic will not be allowed.
- At the end of each day's events, exiting traffic becomes very heavy between 4:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. During these times emphasis is placed on exiting traffic and vehicle flow into the event area is limited. When traffic backs up, Stebner Road will be changed to a 2-lane one way out flow, from the GENERAL EVENT PARKING lot out to Miller Trunk Hwy 53. NO inbound traffic will be let in on Stebner Road during this time. Any vehicles needing to get into the event area during this time will need to use Cirrus Drive.
- Grinden Drive along the Duluth International Airport will be posted "No Stopping". That roadway will be patrolled and vehicles in violation will be tagged.
- Motorists in the area of the Air Sho should slow down, drive with care, and watch for signs, barricades, pedestrians, and police officers directing traffic.
- Some parking in the Duluth Air Show Lot has been reduced because of wet conditions.
- Parking will be allowed in the MILLER HILL MALL lot with shuttle buses running continuously to and from the Duluth Air Show. Look for the posted "Air Show Shuttle Bus" signs in the MILLER MALL lot for bus stop locations. Shuttle rides will be $5 per person for a round trip ticket.
With all the traffic expected, carpooling would be the best idea. Also, patience will be greatly appreciated by all the air show employees who will be on hand to help.