Spice Up Your Memorial Day Barbecue With Southwestern Backyard Burgers
The weather isn't the only thing that's going to be HOT this Memorial Day weekend if you make these mouth watering burgers from Taste of Home. The beauty is that after you make the burgers your job is done. Your family and guests take over and dress them up the way they want.
They are certainly flavorful and based on your toppings, colorful too!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hickory liquid smoke, optional
- 1/2 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 12 crackers)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 8 slices pepper jack cheese
- 8 sesame seed hamburger buns, split
- Lettuce leaves and tomato slices
- Toppings of your choice
In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Then, crumble the beef and sausage into the bowl and mix well. Shape into eight patties.
Fire up the BBQ and grill, covered, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. (remember, it's safer to cook the meat thoroughly, although some guests prefer their burgers medium-rare). Top with cheese and continue to grill until cheese is melted.
This is an extra step, but makes the burgers just THAT much better. I butter my buns and grill them with the cut side down, for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Serve burgers on buns with lettuce, tomato and toppings of your choice. Yield: 8 servings.
They have a little kick to them, have your favorite beverage on hand!